+7 495 255 15 15

Kelarsky Dvorik

The Kelarsky Dvorik complex is located in a separate stone palace building dating back to the 17th century. It is right behind the main entrance to the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius.

The doctor of art history and well-known historian of science, Vasily Zubov, wrote that the historical events of the first decade of the 17thcentury made it necessary to restore and strengthen the monastic structures. 

From September 23, 1608 to January 12, 1610, for almost sixteen months, the monastery was besieged by Polish and Lithuanian units of Sapega and Lisovsky. The hostilities caused heavy damages: some parts of the fortress’ walls were severely damaged by shelling, the corner Pyatnitskaya Tower was destroyed during the tunnel explosion, wooden buildings were burned or dismantled for fuel, most stone buildings had no roofs. Since the tumultuous time had not yet passed, immediately after the siege was lifted, the firts priority was to repair the walls and towers and to restore dwellings. The monastic leader Archimandrite Dionisius Zobnikovsky, a prominent figure of the Time of Troubles, a participant in the liberation struggle of the Russian people, restored the monastery after the siege. He also made a decision to strengthen and rebuild the monastic buildings and facilities.

The design peculiarities of the main entrance to the monastery of two consecutive gates allowed builders to erect stone palaces directly between the stone fortress wall and the eastern line of cells. Historical sources, primarily The Brief Chronicle of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius says,

"In the summer of 1627-1628, two palaces were built on both sides of the Holy Gate.

In 1628-1629, two palaces were built on the right side of the Holy Gate by master Elisei".

 This information was recorded by monk Aleksander Bulatnikov, who took over the monastery in 1621. He is one of the authors of The Brief Chronicle of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius, the historical document and chronicle.

The Kelarsky Dvorik is located right in the palace building of master Elisei. The complex includes the Varenichnaya and Pirozhkovaya Palaces offering a wide variety of hot meals, drinks, salads and pastries.

The well-preserved rooms are decorated with unique emerald-colored tiles in the Pirozhkovaya Palace and with floral ornaments in the Varenichnaya Palace. Natural wood furniture also creates a cozy atmosphere taking you back to that difficult but beautiful time of the Lavra’s rebirth and formation. Guests can dine under the old vaults sitting on sound oak benches.

Kelarsky Dvorik
Sergiev Posad, Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., no dinner hour, seven days a week